Developing a Dream

Purpose
I am James Hoag, and I have been attending DigiPen Institute of Technology studying Game Design since Fall of 2009. I will showcase my past and current projects through videos, images, and written discourse. There is also portfolio work and professional information available for those interested.

My Goals
Develop interesting experiences
Invent something unique
Make people feel
Explore
Live

Recent Project - Reactor


Reactor is a kinetic puzzle in which you are in control of the power output of a dangerous nuclear reactor.  My main idea for this project was to create a radial puzzle that took active input from the player to succeed.  This game was not as successful as other projects because of the difficulties presented by a radial puzzle.  It became very difficult to create a control scheme that always makes sense for the player.

On a suggestion I added mouse wheel control for rotating the pieces and this helped a lot.  The similar motion of rolling the mouse makes it easier to relate to moving pieces, yet the disorientation stays the same.

Even though I had some of my more clever moments in scripting, I still must look at the project as a lesson in what not to do. I still have not figured out how to best resolve the issue of disorientation in games like this.  One option is to re-orient the controls prior to each new move so that the direction the player thinks they should move is always the one selected.  If I work more on Reactor that is something I will try, if only to see if I can make this game work.