Developing a Dream

Purpose
I am James Hoag, and I have been attending DigiPen Institute of Technology studying Game Design since Fall of 2009. I will showcase my past and current projects through videos, images, and written discourse. There is also portfolio work and professional information available for those interested.

My Goals
Develop interesting experiences
Invent something unique
Make people feel
Explore
Live

Recent Project - Stone Spirit


Stone Spirit was my first attempt using Game Maker 8, and it went well despite learning a new development tool.  Since completing this game in the Fall I have made several other projects using that software. The game is a puzzle platformer in which our hero the Stone can separate Spirit from body in order to travel through a cursed castle.

The current iteration of the game is very challenging and less rewarding then I would like it to be.

At one point I had allowed the momentum of the Spirit to carry into the rock after teleporting but my limitations with the collision system was creating horrid bugs, so I removed it. I would on further exploration of the mechanic like to try implementing that effect properly

It was suggested that I make it so the ghost bounces off walls instead of bursting/dying, because it is extremely frustrating when you have to constantly repeat something.  I choose early on to focus on level design. and because of this smooth controls took a back seat to content.  Another thing that with time I would explore more deeply.

Right now, I think there are some really good levels. and some that could use some more focus.  Although a change to the movement capabilities of the character will drastically effect what is potentially good, so I expect I will be needing a whole new set of level designs.